Thursday, July 31, 2008
GALVESTON - Two local seamen are suing a ship owner for $2 million for failing to inform them of an allegedly high presence of bacteria on the vessel. Orben Bounds and Shawn Owens were stricken with a staph infection while they working on the M/V Cheryl K between 2007 and 2008, court papers say. The personal injury suit against Cheryl K Inc. was filed in the Galveston County 212th District Court on July 25. "The M/V Cheryl K was inhabited with a virulent form of staph, called MRSA," the suit says, adding the medical problem does not have a cure and is potentially fatal.